Completing any type of home improvement project requires training in all sorts of disciplines. Many people do not think of what encompasses an entire renovation or improvement in their homes.
Painting is a skill set that requires chemical handling/storage, ladder safety, skim coating, sanding, caulking, understanding the difference between paints and quality then ultimately having that steady hand. Also, don’t forget the tools you need.
When you hire a professional you are guaranteed quality and a professional finish, something you may not be able to achieve on your own. A professional will complete the project in a timely and efficient manner, limiting the disruption to your home and lifestyle. #ditchtheDiY and get Harding’s on in instead.
I found this great article on why and when you should consider to NOT do it yourself. It aligns perfectly with our Ditch the DiY mantra here at Harding’s.
Far too many times people think they are saving money by doing it themselves. Granted there is a satisfaction in completing a job yourself, no doubt, but at what cost? Check out the article in the link below, but also consider these items when considering your DiY project.
- What tools do you need to rent or buy for the project?
- How much time will it ‘actually’ take?
- Remember travel time to and from the hardware store for tools, advice, materials, damn it you forgot screws!
- Preparation is key, have you masked off painting areas, how much time will that take?
- Demolition, have you considered Asbestos? Lead?
- Material waste management? Where, when and how are you getting all the demo materials and waste to the dump? Can you even take all of your waste to the dump?
- Materials selection; do you have the experience to know which materials are needed where? How much time will watching those YouTube videos take?
- Experience in the vocation you are taking on? This is the big one. Lots of people can watch videos and think they can handle the project but are you familiar with the tools, the trade and the actual work. Check those grout lines!
- As a DiY’er, the old adage of measure twice cut once, is more like measure 13 times and cut it 4 separate times with 3 extra pieces of material.
These are just a few of the many things to consider when taking on a DiY project. Gratification in completing a project is awesome, unless your spouse gives you gears for the next 10 years on those grout lines!
Here’s that link to why you should Ditch the DiY!
Rob Hilditch, President of Harding’s – Your Improvement Company.
5 Reason to Ditch the DiY and Hire Harding’s instead.
#1 – Lack of Expertise
Painting may seem like a simple task, but it requires a certain level of experience and skill to get it right. If you don’t have experience painting, you may end up making mistakes such as uneven brush strokes, drips, and smudges that can make your walls look unprofessional and unappealing
#2 – Time Consumption
Painting involves working at heights, using ladders, and handling potentially hazardous chemicals such as paint thinner or solvent. Without proper safety measures and equipment, there is a risk of injury from falls, chemical exposure, or inhalation of fumes.
#3 – Lack of & Cost of Tools
Painting is a time-consuming task that requires a significant amount of effort. Preparing the walls, applying the paint, and cleaning up can take several days or even weeks, depending on the size of the project. If you don’t have the time or energy to devote to the task, it may be best to hire a professional
#4 – Safety Results
While DIY painting projects may seem like a cost-effective option, they can actually end up costing more in the long run. Poorly executed paint jobs may require reapplication, which can cost additional time and money. Additionally, if you don’t have the proper tools and equipment, you may need to purchase or rent them, which can add to the cost
#5 – Lack of Professional Results
Ultimately, if you want your walls to look their best, it’s best to hire a professional painter. Professionals have the experience, skills, and tools to ensure that your walls are painted correctly and with a professional finish that lasts. A professional paint job can increase the value of your home, and you will have peace of mind knowing that the job was done right